However, anyone who has ever moved knows the hassle and time-consuming process that relocating entails. Organizing logistics can be hectic when you’re trying to sell your current home as you’re searching for a new one. On top of that, you’re likely seeking employment while you’re trying to figure out when to give notice at your current job. With all this on your plate, it might not be a bad idea to hire a Surrey moving company to help you do the heavy lifting.
Cost of Living in Surrey
1 or 2 Months Before Moving Day
- Contact a moving company for a free estimate.
- Keep track of your moving expenses so you can deduct them on your taxes.
- Inventory your belongings.
- Gather packing materials if you plan to pack yourself.
- Organize a garage sale to clear excess clutter and things you don’t want to move.
- Make travel arrangements like renting a moving truck or booking hotel rooms.
- Collect your medical records and transfer prescriptions to a new pharmacy.
- Turn in a change of address forms.
- Transfer memberships like the gym, church, or other groups.
2 to 4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Reserve dedicated use of the service elevator in your new apartment building.
- Switch your utilities to your new address.
- Transfer newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- Confirm your travel reservations.
- Arrange for a cleaning service to clean your existing home, your new home, or both.
- Check your safety deposit box and make sure you have a safe place to store your valuables while moving.
- Start packing and label every box with contents as well as an inventory list and fragile stickers if necessary.
A Few Days Before Moving Day
- Arrange to leave your keys with the landlord or new owners.
- Disconnect your appliances.
- Pack last-minute items.
- Double-check all rooms to make sure they’re empty.
On Moving Day
- Make sure your Surrey moving company is clear on your destination address and exchange contact details with the driver.
- Shut off appliances.
- Do a final walkthrough with the crew to make sure your instructions were carried out correctly.
- When you arrive at your destination, walk through the place to ensure everything is in the correct room.
- Carry important documents and valuables with you and don’t give them to the moving company.